- 2 quarts water
- 4 pounds corned beef brisket
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp pickling spice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tbsp Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup red chile sauce (optional)
- 2 cups dry lentils (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Tie pickling spice in a square of cheesecloth. In a large stew pot, combine water, brisket, whole vegetables, garlic, and pickling spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 3 hours.
- Place a cooking rack in a shallow baking dish or pan. Remove brisket from cooking liquid, and place fat side up on rack. Reserve cooking liquid. Mix together brown sugar, ginger, mustard, and honey. Spoon glaze over meat.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the lentils. In a medium saucepan, combine 3 cups cooking liquid from the brisket, and chili sauce. Bring to a boil. Add lentils, return to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer. Continue cooking for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve with brisket.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market