- 1 3/4 cups flour (GF use Domata or Jules)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- Grease an 8 inch square pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices together. Cream the butter, gradually add the brown sugar and cream thoroughly. Stir in molasses.
- Beat egg until thick, and beat into the creamed mixture. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture a third at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Gradually add boiling water, stirring after each addition. Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes. Serve warm with caramel sauce.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market