Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 medium apples, cored and sliced
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/3 lb. pea pods
- 1 small sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. ginger, minced
- 10 shitake and/or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Heat sesame oil in nonstick skillet or wok. Add garlic and ginger, and stir for approximately 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook in hot oil. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add vegetables and cook while stirring until tender crisp, sprinkle with pepper. Combine applesauce, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch and chicken broth or water.
- Add chicken to vegetables, add sauce mixture and cook until sauce is thickened and clear. Add apples during last five minutes of preparation. Serve over steamed brown rice.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market