Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2- to 4- lb.)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium garlic cloves, flattened
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs (or 1 T. dried rosemary, crumbled)
- 1/4 lemon
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 ounces small shallots (about 9 )
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary (or 1/2 t. dried rosemary, crumbled)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 3/4x1 1/2-inch pieces (or 2 small red bell peppers)
- 1/4 cup golden raisin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse and pat chicken dry; sprinkle inside with salt and pepper. Rub inside and out with flattened garlic and rosemary sprigs.
- Place 1 inch of rosemary sprig under skin over each side of breast. Place flattened garlic, remaining rosemary sprigs and lemon quarter in cavity. Truss chicken and sprinkle with paprika.
- Melt butter with oil in large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add chicken to skillet breast side up; add shallots and two whole garlic cloves. Cook until bottom of chicken is lightly browned, stirring vegetables frequently, about 4 minutes. Add lemon juice to skillet;baste chicken with pan juices.
- Sprinkle vegetables with rosemary, salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to oven and roast chicken 45 minutes, basting chicken and stirring vegetables occasionally. Mix bell peppers into skillet.
- Continue cooking, basting chicken and stirring vegetables occasionally, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced in thickest part of thighs, about 35 minutes, transfering shallots,peppers and garlic to strainer when the shallots and garlic are very tender and deep golden brown. Transfer chicken to platter.
- Add peppers and shallots back to skillet using slotted spoon. Place skillet on top of stove, add raisins and simmer 3 minutes to plump. Serve chicken warm or at room temperature; pass vegetables separately.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market