This recipe is Gluten Free from Thanksgiving Gluten Free Cooking Class 2012.
- 4 slices Gluten French Bread bread (or 8 baguette slices)
- 2 large slices Applewood smoked bacon, cut in half
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk (or you can use cream or 1/2 and 1/2)
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 2 tbsps Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp flour
- fresh ground salt & pepper
- 2-3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 Roma tomato slices
- 4 lettuce leaves
- The night before you plan to make the BLTs, set the sliced bread out on the counter to dry out slightly.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 375. Place bacon on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Cook until golden and crisp, about 15-20 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees.
- While bacon cooks, whisk together eggs, cream, chives, Parmesan, and flour. Season with salt and pepper. Lay bread in a single layer in a large shallow dish and coat with egg mixture. Soak 20-30 minutes, turning once.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium. When butter sizzles, add bread and cook until golden and crisp around edges, about 3-5 minutes per side, flipping once. Transfer cooked pieces of bread to an oven safe plate in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- To serve, layer tomato, lettuce, and bacon on a slice of French toast, and top with another slice or serve open-faced.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market