Makes 4-6 servings
- 4 medium onions, sliced (4 to 5 cups sliced)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- dash pepper
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups croutons, plain
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Directions for onion casserole in a large skillet over medium low heat, cook sliced onions in 3 tablespoons butter until just tender. Blend in flour and pepper; stir until smooth and bubbly. Add beef broth and sherry; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Turn onions and sauce into a 1-quart casserole.
- Toss croutons with 2 tablespoons melted butter; spoon over the onion mixture. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Place onion casserole under broiler until cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 1 minute. Serve onion casserole immediately.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market