- 3 to 3 ½ pound beef bottom round or rump roast
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 portobello mushrooms (3-4 inches in diameter)
- 1- 14 oz. can beef broth seasoned with onion
- 8 hoagie buns, split and toasted
- 1 large red onion, cut into ½ inch slices
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 3 ½ to 6 quart slow cooker. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray, heat over medium heat. Brown meat on all sides in hot skillet. Place meat in the prepared cooker.
- Clean mushrooms, remove and discard stems. Cut mushrooms into ¼ inch slices. Add to cooker. Pour broth over meat and mushrooms.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4 ½ hours. Remove meat from cooker; cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms and set aside. Thinly slice meat. Arrange meat, mushroom slices and onion slices on toasted buns. Pour cooking juices into a measuring cup; skim off fat.
- Drizzle a little of the juices onto each sandwich and pour the remaining juices into bowls to serve with sandwiches for dipping.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market