Makes 4 servings
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp minced ginger root
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp chili pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 4 8 oz yellowfin tuna steaks (1 1/2? thick)
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- Mix all ingredients, except the tuna steaks and rosemary, in a nonreactive bowl that is just big enough to hold the steaks in one layer.
- Add the steaks and turn them to coat. They should be sitting very tightly in the bowl. If you don?t have a bowl, you can use a Ziploc bag, add the steaks, squeeze out the air and seal the bag.
- Marinate for 30 minutes to 2 hours in the marinade.
- Set a large frying pan on medium high heat. Remove tuna from the marinade and dry on paper towels. When the pan is hot, pour 2 tablespoons of oil from the marinade into the skillet.
- Add tuna steaks to a pan. Shake the pan couple of times so that steaks don?t stick. Sear 2 ½ minutes on one side. Flip and sear 1 ½ minutes on the other side. This will cook ¼? of tuna on each side and leave the rest rare. If you like your tuna more cooked through, cover the pan, turn down the heat to medium and cook flipping the steaks half way until desired doneness.
- Sprinkle the steaks with rosemary, pour the pan juices over them, or top with garlic herb butter, and serve.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market