Makes 4 servings
- 4 chicken leg quarters, with skin on
- Nonstick spray
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves chopped garlic, or 1 Tbsp. minced garlic, or 1 tsp. minced dried garlic
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 can of chopped or stewed tomatoes, or 1 can of chopped tomatoes and peppers (and may omit the diced pepper)
- Dried Italian seasoning (to taste)
- Poultry seasoning or sage (to taste)
- 1 4-oz can mushroom pieces and stems, drained
- 1 tbsp minced dried onion or 1/4 cup chopped raw onion
- 1 jar non-meat pasta sauce or crushed tomatoes with basil and oregano
- Block romano cheese or grated romano cheese
- Pan fry chicken in a large pot or skillet coated with nonstick spray, bone-side down first, then turn and cook until skin is brown but not too crispy, and chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Remove chicken; saute pepper and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter. Grease a roasting pan with nonstick spray. Add part of the can of chopped tomatoes; place leg quarters on top. Season chicken with Italian seasoning and poultry seasoning or sage to coat lightly.
- Sprinkle drained mushrooms, remainder of tomatoes, onion and the cooked pepper and garlic over the chicken. Cover dish and let sit in refrigerator for 1 hour or up to two days. Drizzle desired amount pasta sauce on top; sprinkle some grated cheese over top.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more. Sprinkle with more grated cheese (to taste) and serve over white rice or Parmesan-Basil rice
- Parmesan-Basil Rice: Add butter to warm rice along with Parmesan cheese and dried basil. Mix together to make a sticky rice.
- Serve with some fresh garlic bread and a salad with fresh spinach or desired healthy greens.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market