This recipe contains gluten free notes
- For the Loaf:
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (GF use domata)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- For the loaf: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar, cocoa, flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on low speed just to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolk to blend, then add the buttermilk, oil and vanilla; whisk until combined.
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Stir in the chopped chocolate by hand using a rubber spatula. Give it all a good last stir, making sure to scrap up everything on the bottom and sides and mixing it in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market