This recipe is Gluten Free.
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 14.5-ounce cans Mexican style stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped (I typically use the Mexican with lime Rotel brand.)
- 2 limes , shells and juice reserved
- 4 14-ounce cans chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (leave chunky)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh jalapeno
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained, optional
- Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream, cubed avocado
- Garnish: lime wedges
- Toast cumin seed just in a dry skillet just until heated through and beginning to give off aroma. Do not burn! Set aside.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add vegetables, jalapeno and chicken broth to slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes and toasted cumin seed. Cut limes in half crosswise. Squeeze and strain lime juice and reserve for later; add lime shells to soup.
- Stir in chicken and cook on LOW 4 Äì 6 hours. (It will hold longer if needed.) Thirty to forty-five minutes before serving, remove the lime shells and stir in cilantro, salt and pepper, lime juice and black beans, if using. Cook until thoroughly heated, Serve with toppings and garnish, if desired.
- You may want to use half of the lime juice and taste before adding the remainder. ItÄôs a matter of taste. This keeps well in the refrigerator for several days. It also freezes well.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market