This recipe is gluten free
- 1/2 lb bacon, diced
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 3 large onions, medium dice
- 1 bunch celery, well scrubbed, cleaned, and chopped
- 1 pound carrots, medium dice
- 1 (750-ml) bottle red wine
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds potatoes, well scrubbed and diced, skin on
- 1 (8-ounce) package frozen okra
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Brown bacon in a large (8-quart capacity) pot. Add beef and brown in the bacon fat. Add onions, celery and carrots and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add red wine and beef broth, and simmer until reduced by half. In a small bowl, mix flour and oil, then stir this mixture into the stew and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken and integrate flavors.
- Add potatoes, okra and bay leaves to the stew and let cook until potatoes are fork tender. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market