Makes 6 servings
This recipe is Gluten FreeNote: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 cups broccoli coleslaw mix
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1-1/2 tsp grated lime peel
- 6 prepared corn muffins, halved
- Sprinkle 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over roast. In a large skillet, brown pork in oil on all sides. Transfer meat to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add water, chipotle peppers and molasses, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over pork. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, mango, lime juice, lime peel and remaining salt and pepper.
- Place muffin halves cut side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Serve pork with muffins; top with slaw.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market