This recipe contains gluten free notes
- 2 tablespoon(s) unbleached all-purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- 1 cup(s) milk
- 1 cup(s) apple cider
- 1/2 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup(s) (2 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) (2 ounces) shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- 2 pound(s) Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Add sliced smoked sausage if desired
- Oven Temp: 425
- Adjust an oven rack to the center position and heat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly butter a 10- by 2-inch round baking dish or a 8- by 12-inch rectangular baking pan; set aside.
- Place flour in a medium-heavy saucepan; gradually add milk, whisking until smooth. Whisk in cider, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, whisking constantly. Cook for 1 minute more and remove saucepan from heat; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine Gouda and Jarlsberg cheeses. Arrange half of the sliced potatoes, slightly overlapping, in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese mixture and sausage. Arrange remaining potatoes and sausage on top. Pour cider mixture over potatoes.
- Bake 25 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven. Using a metal spatula, press down on potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture; return to oven. Bake until potatoes are fork-tender and the top is crusted and lightly browned -- about 20 minutes more. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market