- 12-16 medium apples
- 12-16 wooden sticks
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 oz. bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups coarsely chopped roasted peanuts, cashews or mixed nuts
- Wash and dry apples. Removed stems. Insert one wooden stick into the stem end of each apple. Set aside.
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan, melt butter and the 2 oz unsweetened chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently. Add sugar, corn syrup and honey. Stir in sweetened condensed milk; mix well.. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly (this will take 6-8 minutes).
- Clip a candy thermometer onto side of the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the thermometer registers 245° (firm-ball stage). This will take 12-15 minutes. Remove saucepan from the heat. Stir the vanilla onto caramel mixture.
- Dip each apple into the hot caramel mixture. Use a spoon to spread the mixture evenly over apple. Allow excess caramel mixture to drip off into saucepan. Immediately dip bottoms of apples into nuts, sprinkling some nuts onto sides of apples. Place apples, nut sides down, on waxed paper. Let stand about 25 minutes or until set.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market