Makes 8-19 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (GF use Domata Flour)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups cold water
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Make the Cake Batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the water, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, mix together until just combined and there are no traces of dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Slowly pour all of the cream cheese filling over top, trying to distribute it as evenly as possible (do not try to spread it after you pour it). Pour the remaining cake batter over top of the cream cheese filling. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the walnut-sugar mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Let cool completely before serving.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market