Makes 4 servings
This recipe is gluten free.
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/4 tsp finely grated zest from 1 lime
- 1 tbsp fresh juice from 1 lime
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- Four thick, boneless steaks, such as ribeye or hanger, 10- to 12-ounces each
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- Combine the butter, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, and a salt to taste. Set aside. Combine the paprika, cumin, and chipotle powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle the steaks with plenty of kosher salt, then evenly sprinkle the spice mixture over them and rub into the meat.
- Oil the grates of the grill (or grill pan) and preheat over high heat until smoking. Reduce heat to medium high and add steaks. Cook without moving until well-charred, about 4 minutes.
- Flip steaks and continue to cook until center of steaks register 125°F on an instant-read thermometer for medium-rare, 135°F for medium, or 145°F for well done. Transfer to a platter and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes, adding the lime butter after a few minutes to melt from the residual heat. Slice the steaks and serve immediately.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market