This recipe has gluten free notes.
- 12 bone in chicken thighs
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced onion
- 1 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 18 pitted manzanilla (or green) olives, chopped
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (GF use corn starch)
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole pitted dates, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 10-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 6 chicken thighs to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon butter, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and remaining 6 chicken thighs.
- Add onion and ginger to pan; sauté 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add olives; sauté for 1 minute. Add flour and the next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon stick); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook for 1 minute. Return chicken to pan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 12 minutes. Stir in dates; simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Stir in juice, and garnish with basil.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market