Makes 6 servings
- 1 1/4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut in 3/4-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3-14 oz can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 15 - 16 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, snipped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 deli-roasted chicken, cut up
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In shallow roasting pan toss squash and onion with curry powder and the 1 tablespoon oil. Roast, uncovered, 20 minutes or until tender. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In 4-quart Dutch oven combine roasted vegetables, broth, beans, and apricots. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Cook about 5 minutes. Transfer half the soup to food processor or blender. Cover; process or blend until smooth. Return to Dutch oven; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in bowl toss walnuts with 1 teaspoon oil and the nutmeg. Spread nuts on baking sheet. Bake 7 minutes or until golden and toasted. Reheat chicken according to package directions, if needed.
- To serve, top soup with nuts, chicken, and cilantro.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market