Makes 8 servings
- 8 slices Pumpernickel bread, crusts-removed
- 1/4 cup Dried Cherries
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 oz Unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 cup Butter, melted
- 2 cup Whipping cream
- 3 oz Semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 9 Egg yolks
- Lightly brush bread slices with melted butter. Place bread in greased 2 1/2 quart 4 inch deep baking pan or souffle dish. Sprinkle bread with cherries and set aside.
- Bring whipping cream and milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Whisk in chopped chocolate until melted. Whisk together sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla. Beat cream/chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Blend well.
- Pour over bread slices and currants. Let stand 30 minutes to allow bread to soak up liquid. Cover pan with buttered foil and place in a larger pan filled halfway with warm water.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until knife inserted in pudding
- comes out clean. Cool slightly. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market