Makes 8-10 servings
- 3 1/2 pounds cauliflower, trimmed, cut into florets (about 8 cups)
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 7 tbsp prepared white horseradish
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Ground nutmeg
- 1 cup packed grated Fontina cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups fresh French breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Steam cauliflower until crisp-tender, about 9 minutes. Transfer to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir 2 minutes (do not brown). Gradually whisk in half and half. Cook until sauce boils and thickens, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes. Mix in 5 tablespoons horseradish and vinegar. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour sauce over cauliflower and mix to coat. Sprinkle cheese over. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Mix in mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons horseradish. Add breadcrumbs; stir until crumbs are golden brown, about 9 minutes. Sprinkle over cauliflower.
- Bake until cauliflower is heated through, about 25 minutes.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market