- 6 oz grated carrot - about 2 medium
- 3 oz grated Gruyère cheese - about 3/4 cup
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbs crème fraiche or plain yogurt
- Butter two ramekins and line the bottoms with buttered waxed paper (makes getting them out much easier). Put a medium saucepan half full of water on medium-high heat.
- Grate carrot first, then cheese, using the medium holes of your trusty box grater. Keep them separate, please. When the water is boiling blanch the carrots for 30 seconds, drain and rinse with cold water. Using your hands gently squeeze them dry. You now have orange hands - well done!
- Beat egg lightly. Add carrots, cheese, mustard and crème fraiche and mix well. Spoon into prepared ramekins. Cover with a circle of buttered waxed paper.
- Put into a roasting pan with deep sides - I use a metal bread pan, and add hot water (hot tap water is fine) so that it comes half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 400F (200C) - they should be set - firm on top. Remove from oven and from hot water. Run a table knife around the sides to loosen. After removing top sheet of waxed paper put a small plate over top of ramekin and flip over.
- Remove ramekin, and paper from top (formerly bottom) of timbale. Spoon tomato sauce around half of timbale and serve immediately.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market