- 1 cup walnut halves
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoon sugar
- 5 cups baby lettuce green or torn mixture lettuce greens
- 2 cups Arugula leaves, torn
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and slivered
- 2 Comice pears, cored and cubed
- 1 ½ oz. soft goat cheese, crumbled
- Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp minced shallot
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a heavy, nonstick skillet melt the sugar around the almonds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat immediately and quickly spread onto foil-covered surface to cool. Break apart, if necessary. Combine the lettuce, bell pepper, pears, cheese, and the candied walnuts in serving bowl and toss to coat with vinaigrette.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired and serve.
- To make Vinaigrette; In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and the shallot. Add the oil in a stream, whisking until it is emulsified. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste.
- Makes 6 servings.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market