Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound ground round
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cups chopped tomato (about 2 large)
- 3 cups chopped peeled butternut squash (about 1 small)
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 (16 oz) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup small pitted ripe olives
- 2 to 3 tbsp minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 6 tbsp thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the first three ingredients in a Dutch oven, and cook over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well; return meat mixture to pan. Stir in tomato and next 9 ingredients (tomato through garlic); bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in olives and jalapeno; cook 5 minutes.
- Ladle chili into soup bowls, and top each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions and 1 teaspoon cilantro.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market