Makes 8 servings
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck rib roast
- 1 ½ cups red cooking wine
- 1 cup diced tomatoes in juice (canned)
- 1 large carrot, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 large cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Place meat in deep non-metallic container or bowl. Trim excess fat, if desired. Add remaining ingredients to bowl except salt, pepper and oil. Pierce meat several times with fork and turn to coat; spoon marinade over meat. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or up to 24 hours, turning meat at least once.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Reserving marinade, remove meat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. On stovetop, heat about 3 tablespoons olive oil in a small roasting pan.
- Add meat and brown on all sides. Pour marinade over meat. Cover and roast in oven for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees F, and continue to roast 1 ½ hours or until meat is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove meat to serving platter. Carefully spoon marinade into blender container. Cover and run on low until smooth. Serve with sliced roast beef.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market