Makes 8 servings
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- ¼ cup grated fresh or prepared horseradish
- ½ bunch fresh chives, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil
- 16 slices havarti cheese
- 8 large hamburger buns, split
- Ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard for serving
- Cooked bacon, lettuce, sliced tomato and onion for serving
- Put the beef in a large mixing bowl. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the horseradish and chives; season with salt and pepper. Hand-form the meat into 8 burgers, cover them, and chill in the fridge while preparing your grill.
- Place a large grill pan on 2 burners over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill and get it very hot. Burgers stick to a cold grill, so it?s important that you give it plenty of time to heat. Take a few paper towels and fold them several times to make a thick square. Blot a small amount of oil on the paper towel then carefully and quickly wipe the hot grates of the grill; this will create a non-stick grilling surface. Grill the burgers for 8 minutes per side for medium; 7 minutes if you like your meat rare.
- When the burgers are just about cooked, put a couple of slices of cheese on top of each and cover the grill for 1 minute to melt the cheese. Remove the burgers to a clean side plate so you have enough room to toast the buns.
- Rub the grill rack with the same paper towel as before to clean the small charred pieces, then toast the hamburger buns cut-side down for 1 minute. Serve the burgers with your favorite condiment and any garnish you like, such as bacon, lettuce, sliced tomato and onion.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market