Makes 4 servings
Nutritional analysis per serving: 432 calories, 24 grams fat, 36 grams carbohydrates, 18 grams protein, 51 milligrams cholesterol, 1,035 milligrams sodium, 50 percent of calories from fat.
- 1 pound white or yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned beef broth, undiluted
- 2 to 4 tbsp German coarse-grain mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, optional
- 4 bratwurst, knockwurst, bockwurst or other German-style link sausages
- 4 sourdough French rolls, split
- Prepare a charcoal fire or preheat a broiler. Heat a well-oiled skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until they are limp and transparent, about
- 15 minutes, stirring often. Add the beef broth and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard; season with freshly ground pepper to taste if desired. Set sauce aside.
- Meanwhile, grill or broil the sausages for about 15 minutes, turning
- to brown all sides. (If sausages are thick and were sold not fully
- cooked, it's best to parboil them before grilling so cooking will be
- Toast the French rolls, cut sides down, on the grill or skillet. Place a sausage or split sausage in each toasted roll and top with a generous portion of the onion mixture.
- Place bratwurst in sauce to coat. Serve with remaining sauce.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market