Makes 5 servings
- 5 Bratwurst links
- 1 pkg. hoagie or bratwurst rolls
- 1 pkg. sliced Swiss cheese (6-8 slices)
- 1 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1-14.5 oz. can sauerkraut, drained
- 3/4 cup large red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions, green part only
- 1-2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2-3/4 tsp. sugar to taste
- 1/2-3/4 tsp. garlic powder to taste
- 2-3 dashes favorite hot sauce
- Carefully cut lengthwise each bratwurst (only 2/3 the way through). Gently flatten for quick and easy cooking. Prepare bratwurst according to package directions in skillet. Note: Cook time will be shortened. Cook until no longer visibly pink.
- Place bratwurst to side keeping warm on low oven setting. Carefully drain excess liquid. Add vegetable oil and return skillet to medium-high heat setting. Add sliced red onion and green pepper, sauté for 2-5 minutes until slightly tender.
- Add sauerkraut and gently heat together. Add seasonings and scallions and keep warm. Add cooked bratwurst, sauerkrautm Thousand Island dressing and cheese on a roll. Refrigerate leftovers.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market