- 4 pounds top round roast
- ¼ cup lard
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped tarragon
- 1 ½ cups red wine
- 1/3 cup onion, shredded
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Rub the beef with half the lard and all the red chile. Place meat in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, bring ½ cup water to a boil, add the remaining lard and the butter. When melted, remove from heat. Add vinegar, tarragon, wine, onion, Worcestershire sauce, and minced garlic. Pour over meat. Refrigerate, uncovered, for up to 2 days; turn the meat frequently.
- Preheat the broiler. Transfer meat to a broiler pan. Position the meat 3 to 4 inches from the broiling unit, and broil for 15 minutes.
- Turn the meat over. Baste it with the marinade, rubbing the fat from the marinade over the surface. Broil another 15 minutes. Turn, baste, and broil for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let the meat stand 15 minutes before serving.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market