- 2 ¼ lbs. beef tenderloin roast, fat trimmed
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, loosely packed, thinly sliced, plus basil sprigs for garnish
- ½ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tsps. Olive oil
- Preheat oven to temperature 325°F. Using a well-scrubbed sharpening steel or some other thick pointed tool. Pierce the tenderloin all the way through the center, and rotate the sharpening steel to create a ½ inch hole.
- Combine sliced basil leaves and sun dried tomatoes in a bowl. Use your hands to fill the tenderloin with basil tomato mixture.
- Heat oil in a heavy ovenproof skillet over high heat. Sear the roast 3-5 minutes, until well browned on all sides. Transfer skillet to oven. Roast about 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 150°F for medium rare.
- Remove tenderloin from oven and let rest about 45 minutes, until cool. Carve into ¼ inch slices and transfer to individual plates or a platter. Serve meat at room temperature garnished with sprigs of basil.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market