Makes 4 servings
- ½ pound rigatoni
- 4 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 ½ cloves garlic, crushed
- 2/3 pound lean ground beef sirloin
- ¼ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups no added salt tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup fresh, chopped basil
- 2/3 cup grated, fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bring ½ gallon of salted water to a boil. Add the rigatoni and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Add the mushrooms and cook 2 minutes more. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside. Add the ground beef to the hot skillet, season with salt and pepper and brown. Drain off excess fat, then add the vegetables back to the skillet.
- Add the tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
- In a casserole dish, toss the rigatoni, meat sauce and basil together. Sprinkle with the cheeses. (This can be made ahead and stored unbaked in the refrigerator up to 2 days, or it can be frozen.)
- Bake until the cheese is bubbly and brown and the dish is thoroughly heated, about 15 to 20 minutes; bake longer if the dish has been refrigerated.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market