- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Malt vinegar sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 lb. hanger steaks, fat trimmed
- Canola oil for cooking
- To marinate the steaks, in a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, shallots, bay leaf, coriander and thyme. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and lightly season with malt vinegar sea salt and pepper. Place the steaks in a baking dish and pour the marinade over them. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade and place on a wire rack set on a baking sheet drain. If the steaks are long, cut them in half crosswise. Season with malt vinegar sea salt and pepper.
- Warm an 11-inch grill pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, lightly brush with canola oil. Working in batches, cook the steaks, turning once, 7 to 9 minutes per batch for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut the steaks against the grain into 1/4-inch slices.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market