This recipe has gluten free notes.
- 2 ½ to 3 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 cup chopped onion, large
- 1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- ½ tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- ½ cup chicken broth (GF use Rachel Rays)
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3 ½ to 4 quart slow cooker. Place onion in bottom of slow cooker. Add meat; sprinkle with thyme and rosemary. Pour broth over meat.
- Meanwhile, for barbecue sauce, in a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, black pepper and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 ½ to 5 hours.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds, discarding fat. Strain onions, discarding liquid. Return shredded meat and onions to cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce. If using high-heat setting, turn to low-heat setting cover and cook for 1 hour.
- To serve, spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms and top with coleslaw. Add bun tops and serve.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market