- 1 large butternut, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp maple syrup/honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- for the risotto
- 500g arborio or carnaroli rice
- 1-1.5 liters chicken stock
- butternut puree
- 3.5 oz cream
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- to serve
- crispy sage
- toasted pine nuts
- roasted butternut cubes
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the butternut with the syrup, salt and olive oil in a roasting tray and roast for 30 minutes or until the butternut is soft.
- Puree 3/4 of the butternut, keeping some roasted cubes for plating.
- Turn the oven down to 350°.
- Place the risotto rice in a roasting tray at least 7-10cm deep. Pour in the chicken stock and butternut puree and mix through.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove from the oven and stir in the cream, sage and nutmeg. Place back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
- After 40 minutes the rice should be cooked, taste it and if you feel like it needs more cooking place it back in the oven.
- When the rice is cooked to your liking, season to taste and serve with crispy sage (fried sage), toasted pine nuts and the reserved butternut.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market