Makes 4 servings
This recipe is gluten free.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 26 ounces chopped tomatoes in their juices
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 bunch kale, center stems removed and roughly chopped (or grilled or roasted sliced eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, etc.)
- 1 (18-ounce) package precooked polenta (such as San Gennaro brand, available at most grocery stores)
- 1/3 cup shredded Italian cheeses such as Mozzarella or Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another minute. Add the tomatoes, spices, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat until thickened, about 20 minutes longer.
- Layer polenta on bottom of pan. Layer sauce and top with cheese. Bake until bubbly.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market