- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small bunch swiss chard or mustard greens, stems removed leaves chopped
- ½ cup diced smoked turkey or lean ham (about 2 ounces)
- 1 15-oz. can whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 15 oz. cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can navy beans, undrained
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic and ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and golden, about 7 minutes.
- Add the chard, meat, and ¼ cup water to the skillet; cook, stirring until the chard wilts slightly, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice, increase the heat to medium high and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Add the pinto beans, then add the navy beans and their liquid. Add the parsley, thyme, and oregano and return to a simmer.
- Coarsely mash about one quarter of the beans in the skillet with a potato masher or fork to thicken mixture. Season with salt. Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish. Cover and bake 45 minutes, then uncover and bake 10 more minutes.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market