Makes 4 servings
- 4 medium cooking apples, such as Rome Beauty, Granny Smith, or Jonathan
- ½ cup raisins, snipped pitted whole dates, or mixed dried fruit bits
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup apple juice or water
- Ice cream or half-and-half (optional)
- Core apples; peel a strip from the top of each. Place apples in a 2-quart casserole.
- Combine the raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; spoon into centers of apples. Pour apple juice or water into casserole. Bake apples in a 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or till the apples are tender, basting occasionally. If desired, serve warm with ice cream or half-and-half.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market