Makes 8 cakes
This recipe is Gluten Free.These unique pancakes are stuffed with bacon, corn and cheese. A good dose of warm maple syrup makes them a delicious choice for breakfast.
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (GF Use Domata All Purpose Flour)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup frozen, canned or fresh corn
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- warm maple syrup, for serving
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon pieces until they begin to brown. Add the onion and continue to cook until the bacon is crisp and the onion is softened. Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the bacon mixture for topping the griddle cakes upon serving- and set it aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, combine the flour, chives, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in the milk, egg and oil, just until moistened. Stir in the bacon mixture, corn and cheese. The mixture will be thick. If you'd like the griddle cakes to be slightly thinner, add a little more milk to thin out the batter.
- Heat and grease a griddle or large skillet. Pour a heaping 1/4-cup of the batter onto the griddle and cook until it is golden brown- 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve stacks of griddle cakes topped with a sprinkle of the reserved bacon/onion and a good dose of warm maple syrup.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market