Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 small butternut squash
- 12 ounces spicy Andouille sausage or similar sausage
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes or whole tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup corn kernels, canned and drained or frozen, thawed
- 1/2 tsp salt and a dash of pepper, or to taste
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Carefully cut the squash in half and scoop out seeds. Peel with a vegetable peeler. Cut into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or kettle over medium heat, cook the sausage in olive oil until lightly browned. Add onion and celery and cook until onion is tender. Stir in flour until well blended. Stir in vegetable broth (or chicken broth), tomatoes, and lima beans. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add squash and corn to the stew, along with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Cover and continue cooking for about 30 minutes or until squash is tender. Add hot sauce and serve with cornbread.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market