Makes 4 servings
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sweet butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat butter or margarine in a medium-size skillet and saute the apples for 5 minutes over low heat. Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over apples. Toss and continue to saute apples for about 10 minutes, until they caramelize. The mixture will be thick and syrupy. Spoon mixture into an 8X8-inch baking dish and keep hot in the oven.
- Separate eggs. Whisk yolks and the granulated sugar in a small bowl until fairly thick. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff and shiny. Fold into yolk mixture, a third at a time. Pour egg mixture over the apples and bake for 8-10 minutes. The omelet will be puffed and golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market