Makes 10 servings
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and grated Jonagold or Golden
- Delicious apples
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Grease a 1 1/2-quart pudding mold. In large bowl with electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and lemon zest. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt and add to butter mixture. Stir in apples, currants, and pecans.
- Spread mixture in greased mold. Cover tightly. Place mold in large pot; add boiling water to reach halfway up sides of mold. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 2 hours.
- Remove pudding from pot and let cool 10 minutes. Unmold onto serving dish. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market