Makes 4 servings
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (14 1/2-ounce) beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 4 slices French bread
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In 2-quart microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter on high (100 percent) 1 minute or until melted. Add apple and onion; microwave on high 5 minutes. Stir and microwave on high 5 minutes longer or until apple is tender and onions are softened. Add broth, water, sherry, and basil. Microwave on high 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Heat broiler of conventional oven; toast slices of bread on both sides. Ladle hot soup into each of 4 oven-safe bowls; top each with toasted bread and some cheese. Broil until cheese melts and browns slightly; serve hot.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market