To perk up the flavor of bland apples, add lemon juice and grated lemon rind to the fruit. Better yet, of course, use the ripest, most flavorful apples and forget the citrus.
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 pounds tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Juice and grated rind of 1/2 lemon (optional)
- Heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch baking dish or a 1 1/2-quart casserole (preferably with a lid) with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Melt remaining 5 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and toss to coat. Spread about 1/3 of the crumb mixture in the baking dish.
- Combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice and rind (if needed) in a medium bowl. In the baking dish, fan out half the apple mixture over crumbs. Add another layer of crumbs, a layer of apples, and a final layer of crumbs.
- Drizzle 1 cup hot water evenly over crumbs. Cover baking dish with lid or foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes more. Serve topped with heavy cream.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market