- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 8 cups peeled, cored and sliced applesapples, (about 6)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tsp grated orange rind
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- 1/2 cup ground almond
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup slice almonds, toasted
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- In bowl, whisk brown sugar with butter until blended. Scrape into 12-cup (3 L) oval glass baking dish, spreading evenly. Layer apples and cranberries over top.
- Cake: In large bowl, beat butter with granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and orange rind. In separate bowl, whisk flour, ground almonds, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of milk. Spoon over fruit, smoothing top. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake in centre of 350°F oven until golden and cake tester inserted in centre of cake comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market