Makes 6 scones
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 Gala or Golden Delicious apple, cored and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup low fat (1%) milk
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan. In medium bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in apple and cheddar cheese.
- Beat egg white and milk until combined. Add to flour mixture, mixing gently, until soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead 4 times.
- Spread dough evenly in cake pan and score deeply with knife to make six wedges. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when gently pressed. Cool until warm or room temperature.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market