- 8 slices bread
- 4 Jonagold or Golden Delicious apples
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 11 3/4- by 7 1/2-inch baking dish. Toast bread slices lightly and cut diagonally into quarters. Arrange a single layer of bread pieces in bottom of dish.
- Core and slice 1 apple; reserve. Core and dice remaining apples. Spread diced apples evenly over bread in dish; sprinkle raisins on top. Arrange remaining bread in two lengthwise rows over diced apples and raisins. Place reserved apple sliced between rows of bread.
- In large bowl, combine milk, eggs, 1/2 cup brown sugar, the butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; beat until well combined. Pour over bread and fruit; sprinkle top with remaining brown sugar and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until firm. Serve warm or cold.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market