- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups yellow onion, julienned
- 2 cups white onion, julienned
- 2 cups red onion, julienned
- 8 each pearl onions, peeled
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. shallots, minced
- 2 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 leek, white part only, julienned
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. thyme, fresh, chopped
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 ½ quarts chicken stock
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 2 cups French bread, cubed, fried in olive oil
- ¼ cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
- In a large saucepan, combine the olive oil and flour. Stirring constantly cook for about 10 minutes for a blond roux. Stir in the onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until the onions are golden.
- Add the andouille, shallots, garlic, leeks, bay leaves, and thyme. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in the broth and bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the soup for about 1 hour. Skim the soup occasionally to remove any fat that rises to the top. Remove the bay leaves.
- Stir in the grated cheese and green onions. Ladle the soup in a shallow bowl. Garnish the soup with the croutons, cheese, and parsley.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market