Makes 4-6 servings
- 3 ½ pounds beef, boneless pot roast
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 carrots, peeled, sliced lengthwise, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 3 potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 2 onions, sliced
- Bunch of celery, stalk cut in 2 pieces
- 2 oz. mushrooms, jar, drained or ¼ cup mushroom gravy
- ¼ cup water
- Trim all excess fat from roast; brown and drain if using chuck or another highly marbled cut. Combine 1/4 cup flour, the salt and pepper. Coat meat with the flour mixture.
- Place all vegetables except mushrooms in crockpot and top with roast (cut roast in half, if necessary, to fit easily). Spread mushrooms evenly over top of roast. Cover and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours.
- If desired, turn to High during last hour to soften vegetables and make a gravy. To thicken gravy, make a smooth paste of the 3 tablespoons flour and the water and stir into crockpot. Season to taste before serving.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market