Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cup milk
- 4 each eggs
- 12 each uncooked jumbo shrimp
- 1 ½ cup sliced almonds (5 oz)
- 6 cup vegetable oil
- Peel, devein and butterfly shrimp, leaving tails intact. Line large baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Place flour in medium bowl; add salt. Whisk milk and eggs in large bowl. Dredge shrimp (not tails) in seasoned flour; shake off excess. Dip shrimp (not tails) in milk mixture.
- Press almonds over shrimp, coating all but tails. Place shrimp on prepared sheet. Curl tails up over shrimp.
- Freeze until firm, about 1 ½ hours. Can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover with foil.
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan to 350°F. Loosen shrimp from paper. Add frozen shrimp to oil in batches and cook until deep golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels using slotted spoon. Let drain. Divide shrimp among plates.
- Serve with cocktail sauce, tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market